[TowerTalk] FEEDBACK!!!!!!!!

Dick Green WC1M wc1m at msn.com
Tue Apr 15 21:13:23 EDT 2008

Steve,

TowerTalk has been an invaluable resource for me, from installing my first
tower 10 years ago, a rotating tubular crankup, to my latest tower, a guyed
110' Rohn 55 thing of beauty with a 3-stack of 4-el SteppIRs and a 2-el 40m
at the top. I seriously doubt that I would have elected to build the big
tower myself, and raise all the antennas, had it not been for the expertise
available on TowerTalk. I've had many, many questions, and have received
much valuable advice from the members of this reflector.

In general, my projects have gone well. But my answer to "How did it all
go?" is -- "It was a lot harder than I thought it would be!" By that, I
mean, a lot more work. It never ceases to amaze me how much work is involved
in even the most trivial tower projects, how long they take, and sometimes,
how mentally and physically demanding they can be. I don't think tower work
is for people who are out of shape, uncommitted or faint of heart.

I can't think of many things that would have made it easier, but I'd
probably consider hiring a contractor to put in the base and anchor
footings. Even with the skilled excavator operators I hired, there was lot
of work involved in squaring up the holes, building forms, building the
rebar cages, shuttling concrete, etc. I don't have a strong need to do that
myself again, and the cost is relatively small in the context of the entire
tower project. I'd probably have the contractor deal with the wood panel for
the utility cabinets next to the tower, too.

My station plays very well, for what it is -- a "moderate" single-op contest
station. It's put me in the top ten in all the major CW contests, which was
at least part of the goal. There's nothing like having a tower capable of
supporting stacks at significant height!

I  would definitely do it again. There is little that compares with the
satisfaction of seeing the fruit of one's labor flying in the air and
working as planned on the bands.

Steve: thanks again for making TowerTalk available to the amateur radio
community.

73, Dick WC1M