[TowerTalk] whole house surge protectors

Tom Anderson andersonww5l at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 16 10:42:08 EDT 2008

Jim, et. al:

In a related matter about 35+ years ago my XYL Cheryl
(WY5H) and I were invited for a "free dinner" at one
of our neighbors' homes for a "demonstration" on some
kind of power "smoothing" device that supposedly fit
kind of like a whole house surge protector, but they
didn't call them that then.  This was one of those
things like the "waterless" cookware parties we've all
and I'm sure lots of TT members have been invited to.

Anyway the salesman of this "device" claimed rather
wildly it would 1. level out and "smooth" the voltage
coming into your house (i.e. no spikes or brownouts)
and 2. actually "lower" electric bills.  Since I was a
naturally suspicious and wary newspaper reporter at
the time I kept asking some technical questions and
for some data sheets that the salesman mysterious
couldn't provide nor could he answer any of my
questions, but he could provide a sales contract if we
wanted to sign up then.

To say the least we passed on this "great deal" the
salesman kept talking about hi hi.

73 de Tom, WW5L