[TowerTalk] Guy rope damping

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Wed Apr 30 18:22:22 EDT 2008

Try a couple things like utilities do to dampen vibrations...

Tie a fishing weight or a big nut, a couple ounces should do, on a short
rope, just a couple inches, and put it a few feet up the guy from the anchor
point... the exact weight and distance may vary the effectiveness, if you
can put it where the rope moves the most that would have the most effect.
The idea is not to attach it solidly to the guy but to let it move to absorb
the motion.

Wrap another rope in a spiral around the guy rope, if the vibration is from
air moving over the guy rope and not from the vertical vibrating this will
break up the vortices that cause the vibration.

Instead of tightly tying the 2 guys together try tying a rope or bungee cord
between them a few feet up from the anchor, again where they move the most
would be the best spot.  This may cause one to fight the other and dampen
the vibration.  Tying it too tight will just change the resonance point.

Add a piece of pipe a few feet long on the bottom of each guy.  Again the
idea is to let the pipe move around the rope to let it absorb the energy
before it gets singing... kind of a backwards version of putting ropes in
yagi elements to damp vibrations.  Make sure the ends are smooth so they
don't chew on the rope though.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net