[TowerTalk] Happy news for a change

Tom Anderson andersonww5l at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 12 12:28:20 EDT 2008

Alan:

One thing you can do that a lot of friends of mine
have done.  This would be to put up the tower you have
planned with whatever antenna on top you have or are
planning on buying. Use this a while, then after
several months and folks are used to it, add to it
with a longer mast or additional section.

The city I live in between Dallas and Fort Worth)
"technically" has a 50 foot ordinance, but I don't
know if they have ever enforced it.  I have a TriEx
W51 50 foot crank up with a 10 ft. mast and then I
took some reducers and added some aluminum tubing to
boost my 2m/440 vertical to about 70 feet and give it
plenty of separation.

A friend of mine who lives about 3 miles away had a
Rohn HDBX 48 up for several yeas, then decided to add
an additonal section, making it an HBX 56.  He's never
had any problems with the city either.

Of course if my XYL and I ever move we'll get a
motorized tower in the 70 foot range.

As an aside, in another neighborhood we lived in, I
installed 40 ft. of Rohn 25 and then put the Ham IV
rotor on top and left it that way for a while to let
the neighbors get used to it.  I had several neighbors
come over and compliment me on the "carillon bell
tower" I had put up and they wondered what songs it
would play on the hour.  I could hardly contain myself
from laughing.  This is a true story.

73 de Tom, WW5L