[TowerTalk] Happy news for a change

Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL grimm at sbc.edu
Tue Aug 12 15:56:21 EDT 2008

Richards wrote:

> <snip>
> So... you do the political math.   Screw the legalities,   just do the
> political math and decide what YOU would do.
>
> (Great discussion actually.)
>
> ===============  Richards - K8JHR  ================

This is a no-brainer.  Move to Virginia where we have one of the best
antenna laws in the country.  In a nutshell, antennas and towers are
permitted by right.  Limited to 75 or 200 ft, depending on whether you
are in a densely populated area.  I'm in village suburbs.  I went in to
the County Zoning Office and asked about putting up a 88' tower.  They
took a couple of minutes to consult the code (below) and then told me to
do whatever I wanted to.   :-)

§ 15.2-2293.1. Placement of amateur radio antennas.

Any ordinance involving the placement, screening or height of antennas
shall reasonably accommodate amateur radio antennas and shall impose the
minimum regulation necessary to accomplish the locality's legitimate
purpose. In localities having a population density of 120 persons or
less per square mile according to the 1990 United States census, no
local ordinance shall (i) restrict amateur radio antenna height to less
than 200 feet above ground level as permitted by the Federal
Communications Commission or (ii) restrict the number of support
structures. In localities having a population density of more than 120
persons per square mile according to the 1990 United States census, no
local ordinance shall (i) restrict amateur radio antenna height to less
than 75 feet above ground level or (ii) restrict the number of support
structures. Reasonable and customary engineering practices shall be
followed in the erection of amateur radio antennas. This section shall
not preclude any locality, by ordinance, from regulating amateur radio
antennas with regard to reasonable requirements relating to the use of
screening, setback, placement, and health and safety requirements.

(1998, c. 642.)

You will love it here in Virginia.  Just let me know if I can help in
facilitating your move to this "amateur friendly" state.  We have lots
of retired lawyers and one more won't matter.  :-)

Ken K4XL
k4xl at arrl.net

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr