[TowerTalk] Guyed vs Self Supporting Lattice towers

Dan Hearn dhearn at air-pipe.com
Fri Aug 15 17:48:05 EDT 2008

Bill: I think the pros and cons depend upon the height of tower you are
talking about. For towers over a hundred feet or so the guyed tower wins due
to much lower cost. The shorter the tower the better the case for self
supporting towers. I favor self supporting towers , particularly crankups..
New they are a bit expensive but antennas can be raised vertically
,straddling the tower. I use a ladder against the tower and , when the tower
is in the lowered position,  it is easy to bolt the antenna into place. Used
crankups have sold around here for very low prices if you remove them. Guyed
towers require more expense than many think with the present cost of
concrete for bases and guy anchors and the hardware. Raising antennas is
more difficult because of the guy wires and you need to climb the full tower
height. Most hams have pretty strong opinions on which is best. I have 2
crankups and one guyed tower.
73, Dan, N5AR