[TowerTalk] Fwd: Heights Towers Aluminum??

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Fri Aug 15 20:37:34 EDT 2008

Heights Tower web site has a technical section and a tutorial on their  tower
designs. In the tutorial there is a table of tower section specifications
related to 6061-T6 aluminum.

One specification is the yield strength of the aluminum at 35,000 psi. The
next entry in the table is the yield strength within one inch of a weld; that
number is 24,000 psi.

So, their calculations are based on derating the strength of the material
near a weld. Apparently this is a useful way to avoid the expensive and time
consuming heat soak procedure mentioned earlier.

73,
Gerald, K5GW

In a message dated 8/15/2008 5:48:08 P.M. Central Daylight Time,