[TowerTalk] Screwdriver driver antenna

Michael Germino ad6aa at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 22 09:14:04 EDT 2008

Should be no problem leaving the SWR meter in-line.  If he really doesn't want to leave it in-line, I once used a Homemade Field Strength Meter sitting on the dash to tune my Screwdriver antenna.  (Maximum deflection on the FS meter was the lowest SWR on my setup)

  SWR is a measurement, what we are really looking for is Max power out.  If your radio is reducing power because of high SWRs you can see it on your power meter on your rig.

  Mike
  AD6AA

Michael Dinkelman <mwdink at eskimo.com> wrote:
  OK - this is only LOOSELY associated with antennas but I'm
asking for a friend.

Friend has a screwdriver type antenna.

Instructions say not to leave a SWR meter in-line between the
rig and the antenna and to use the rig's built-in SWR
meter when tuning antenna. The rig doesn't have a built-in SWR
meter and he can't get a hold of their "technical" support to
ask why. I maintain that it isn't an issue, he can leave the
SWR meter in-line.

I figure they just don't want to bother with explaining the
complexities of using an external meter (OMG! - FORWARD SET)
and how the power fold back circuits may necessitate him to
incrementally reset the meter as he tunes the coil.

Anything I am missing here?

73
dink, n7wa