[TowerTalk] Dipole Ends

Gene Smar ersmar at verizon.net
Fri Aug 29 16:11:29 EDT 2008

Tim:

     Use a long screw eye into the trunk.  Long because you want to leave part of it sticking out of the trunk to allow for expansion of the tree trunk.  Otherwise you'll have to unscrew the eye a bit each year so the eye isn't consumed by the tree as it grows.  But even with the long bolt you will eventually have to unscrew it a bit.

     I would also suggest that you install a bungee cord or similar flexible material at the tree end to allow for sway in the trunk.  I used a dacron rope up an oak tree to support an insulator through which my inverted L wire passed.  Within one season the rope broke due to tree sway.  I installed a rubber bungee cord between the pulley and the tree and the inv L , or its replacement vertical wire, remains in place to this day six years later.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F