[TowerTalk] fiberglass masts

Bill MacLane ai4wm at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 11 20:58:34 EST 2008

Art,
I would not go more than about 40 to 45 ft. with the fiberglass poles.  Maybe use the aluminum equivalent if you go higher than that.

The pole sections to which you refer are the 1080-01-179-6025, LCSS which are designed to support camo netting, not for antenna installation.

These masts have safely been used for temporary installation and some folks use them permanent there was even an article on Eham where a fellow puts them up 70 ft.  That I beleive is asking for trouble.  There are also several types of these.  Some have thicker wall than the others and some do not have female end ferrules and can split.

All of these poles require guying about every 4 sections or 16 ft.
I have some info on my web page:

http://www.freewebs.com/ai4wm/mastinformation.htm

If you can find them use the MS-44 sections from the AB-155/U masts or the sections from the newer military mast (I think they are MS-86).  These are designed to deploy antennas, but will still require guying.

The telescopic poles from MFJ, Spiderbeam, and Jackite taper and get rather thin at the top.  Wonderpole makes one that is much better than any of the others.

73,
Bill
AI4WM