[TowerTalk] RTV Sealant / vapor wrap

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Wed Feb 6 11:38:28 EST 2008

In a message dated 2/5/2008 4:51:47 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  Steve,  Is the butyl rubber vapor wrap the same as  Scotch rubber mastic
tape
(2228), which is available at the big box  stores?  I have been wrapping
joints
in two layers of reversed Scotch  88/33 (sticky side up), then overlapping
with
the rubber mastic tape,  protected with another double layer of 88 or 33.  I
only have about 5  years experience with the mastic, but connectors that I
recently exposed  looked like new.

         That's a James Dandy  way to do it and highly recommended.

        As far as the mastic tape,  there are many varieties of butyl rubber
and other materials such as mastic.  There's also a product for plumbers and
one for florist shops. 3M probably makes  a dozen or more rubber products with
different voltage and temp ratings, etc. so  it probably doesn't make much
difference which one you use. Just make sure you  use your tape-vapor wrap-tape
scenario and you're good to go.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -