[TowerTalk] Is there a decent way to fit a prop pitch in Rohn 25 tow

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Wed Feb 6 11:44:18 EST 2008

In a message dated 2/5/2008 4:51:47 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  I am having difficulty finding 100 feet of Rohn 45 or larger  tower in
the neighborhood of Walla Walla, Washington, but I can find heaps  of
Rohn 25 tower.  I am considering putting a shorty 40 and a 4  element
Steppir on top.  The wind loading specs of 25G and 45G are not  that
different if you believe Rohn.  The big thing is that I would  like to
use my prop pitch to turn the antennas, and I'm afraid I can't fit  it.
There are three top sections available for Rohn 25G.

    Actually you need to read the General Notes to  see a difference in the
windload rating. For 45G and up, there is 8 sq. ft.  already taken out of the
commercial installations. So add the 8 sq.ft. back  into the 45G windload rating
and you'll be in business.

    As far as the PP in 25G, I'm not sure it'll fit.  If it will, you'll need
to cut out a brace to get it in. The other problem  with 25G is that the
rotator shelf only goes in a taper top section or at the  junction of two
sections.

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH -