[TowerTalk] De-soldering old, & Sold'g New, Flex-Weave, etc. Tips by DAVIS RF Co.

Steve Davis -Davis RF Co. sdavis at davisrf.com
Thu Feb 7 13:18:06 EST 2008

The following not only addresses cleaning of aged, bare, Flex-Weave Tm (168 strand # 14 AWG and 259 strand # 12 AWG), but also provides an easy to do tip to protect solder joints that you make when using new Flex-Weave Tm (or other less stranded or solid wires) for aerial building.  Again, this refers to bare wire situations, but when soldering jacketed aerial wire you would use this tip also on your solder joints.  We will soon be including the information herein on our web site and with every Flex-Weave Tm order.

Plumbing supply stores and some retailers like Home Depot carry "Plumbers Acid".  Or, obtain Hydrochloric Acid (HCl) but be sure you have gloves that are rated for HCl and also wear safety glasses.   As the labels tell you:  fumes can be toxic to the lungs, so you must be in a well ventilated area.   There are also water diluted HCl's out there but I have not tried them (industrial HCl itself contains about 65% water as is without further dilution).  Others have mentioned using "Copper Glo Liquid", but I have not tried it.

Soak the end of the wire that you are cleaning in the acid for about 10 minutes and then use a small wire brush to brush the area you want clean.  Go in one direction:  toward the end of the wire, with the brush.  The oxidation on the fine wires will come off.  Dip it back in the acid a few times after brushing it, swish in hot water then wipe it by pulling it through a rag.  Allow to dry for about an hour, or set it in the flow of a muffin fan, or use a hair dryer.  Then final form it with your fingers and tin it with your iron or gun.

That will do it.   NOTE:  Whenever soldering new, old or cleaned Flex-Weave Tm, once soldered put some silicone grease over the whole solder joint  and an inch or so on the wire to either side of the joint.  Then put any waterproof (not "moisture proof") UV resistant tape (such as Scott or AMP Fusion Tape or Coax Seal Tm) over the solder joint (do not use PVC electrical tape, it will not hold up over time).    This will allow you to deal with the solder joint in the future, if ever need be, without oxidation build up.

Bottom line, if you are in an area of high acid rain levels, or salt air environment, it is best to use a jacketed version of Flex-Weave Tm (either PVC or PE is available), in order to have a very long lasting antenna.  Also, at less cost is the option of tinned Flex-Weave Tm, for the same environments but tinned wire is not as strong a barrier to oxidation.

 We also carry all the other favorite aerial wires such as lesser stranded soft and hard drawn copper, bare or insulated, and copper clad steel.  Also available is stranded / insulated copper clad steel.  Please see our web site at www.DavisRF.com

I hope that this is of some help.

Tnx, 73,  Steve Davis   K1PEK   DAVIS RF Co.

978-369-1738

www.DavisRF.com

sdavis at DavisRF.com

Where Customer Satisfaction is our Premier Goal

~ Davis RF Co., Div. of Orion Wire Co.,Inc.
Distribution to numerous industries,  Andrew
Heliax; Times Microwave LMR; RFS Celwave and others.
Cable design engineering. RF Peripherals.
www.davisRF.com
Tel: 1-800-328-4773 (1-800-DAVIS RF) Tech'l: 1-978-369-
1738, Fax: 1-978-369-3484

~ DAVIS/ORION Marine Wire and Cable Co., Distribution and Design: UL/USCG Marine Stds.  Tel: 877-242-2253  Fax: 603-787-2221 (Direct tel to Steve Davis: 978-369-1738 or Fax: 978-369-3484)

~Orion Wire Co., Inc., Design Engineers of Specialty/Custom Cable
Tel: 1-800-328-4773, 1-603-787-2200 Fax 1-603-787-2221,
email: j_stimson at davis-orionwiregroup.com
www.davisRF.com