[TowerTalk] SteppIR Defaults

Larry Comden lcomden at comcast.net
Sun Feb 10 09:19:53 PST 2008

TTers,

I have a 2 ele SteppIP up 50'. The default element lengths require very little adjustment on 17, 15, 12 and 10M. But on 20 and 6M they seem to be way off indicated by unacceptable SWR of over 3 to 1. Example: the driven element for had to lengthened about 12 inches from the default or more than 10% to get acceptable SWR in the recent ARRL VHF test. The director was then set 5% shorter than the new DE length.

On 20 I've always had to use a tuner to get acceptable SWR

Do not have any gain or F/B values to report.

Has anyone else seen this? Suggestions welcome.

TIA

Larry K3VX