[TowerTalk] Enough about the R7 match box and a 18AVT

Marc Tessier - VE3TES ve3tes at cogeco.ca
Sun Feb 10 21:43:35 EST 2008

Firstly I want to thank all that took time out to reply to my quest for knowledge. Now I would like to pick your brains one more time if I may...

Is it possible to build a vertical for the WARC bands, and being able to incorporate a similar scenario as the R7 or R7000 uses, meaning no ground radials required?...

I have conceded to the fact that my 18AVT is not compatible with the system used by the Cushcraft series of verticals, now moving on I will go a bit further into my station information here...

At present I have 2 towers installed, one 32 foot Delhi straight sectioned tower and also a 48 foot Delhi self supporting tower. Antennas which I either have installed or will be installing are as follows...

32 foot tower I presently have a 8el 2M Yagi and a 2M 5/8 wave vertical, in service with a Ham 2 Rotor,

48 Foot tower will have my triband yagi , which is a Cushcraft ATB34, it also holds up my dipole for 80M which will be swapped out for a double bazooka from the current 1/2 wave dipole...

I guess I could easily mount the 18AVT vertical on top of the 32 foot tower and remove the 2m vertical from my picture for now, and move the 2m yagi to sit on top of the ATB-34 on the same tower. but in order to have 2 verticals mounted and still be able to operate at least one rotor one of the 2 verticals must not require ground radials, hence the need for a Vertical not requiring said radials...

Now I am open for any suggestions, and I mean open, because I am pulling my hair out on this dilemma all together...

73 fer now
de Marc Tessier - VE3TES