[TowerTalk] Permanent Trolley for Rotor and antenna.....

Rob Frohne frohro at wallawalla.edu
Tue Jan 8 18:55:21 EST 2008

Hi Everyone,

I am in the dreaming mode (after my antenna tower crashed, see
http://joyinthemorninglight.blogspot.com).  Have any of you made a
permanent trolley system for a guyed tower where the rotor rides in a
trolley that is supported between two permanent trolley cables that are
separated by a space to withstand the torque.  The advantage of this
system is that you can quickly raise and lower the beam and rotor and
beam.  It allows you to adjust things, and when a big wind comes along,
you can have your beam tied on the ground.  The tram lines just help the
guys, and you survive the wind storm (hopefully).  I expect it works
better with a beefy guyed tower.  My elmer, KL7C, did something like
this in Anchorage when I was a teenager.  I've wanted to try it ever
since.  Here is a photo of AB5K's temporary system of similar nature.
http://www.ab5k.net/Images%5CDualTram%5CWe2f2.jpg I would expect that
the tram lines would be tight with a back stay on the tower, and the
separation would need to be perhaps 6 feet.  It could employ a motorized
winch to raise and lower.  There could be a way to lock the trolley onto
the tower at the top that could be remotely disengaged to lower the
antenna.  It seems it might have some of the advantages of a crank up
without the cost.

What do you all think?  What other ideas can you provide?

73,

Rob, KL7NA