[TowerTalk] Ferrite, or choke baluns?

W3YY w3yy at cox.net
Fri Jan 18 17:44:54 EST 2008

Mike -

You beat me to the punch.  The Palomar "Balun Kit" was what I was going to
recommend, but I see, after reading the responses that you have already done
that.

I've successfully used these on 160 and 40.  I like the design.  No coils or
other components to break down.  Your coax goes directly to your antenna,
just as before, but now wrapped in a ferrite blanket.

This design, it seems, should handle high SWR without breakdown.  The only
failure modes I can imagine are over-voltage breakdown in the coax itself or
heating of the ferrites to the point of failure.

73, Bob - W3YY