[TowerTalk] Plumbing a tower

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Tue Jan 22 07:32:12 EST 2008

When I put up my 97-foot Rohn 25 tower on a pier pin base (my first and
only experience of this kind), the experienced tower builders who were
helping me said absolutely nothing about plumbing the tower with any kind
of instrument.  When it was up and all three guy sets were installed, one
guy stood at the base looking up the tower while 3 others adjusted the
turnbuckles at the guy anchors to get it approximately straight and
vertical.  Once it looked OK, each one tightened his turnbuckle by the same
number of turns until the guy tension (measured with a Loos Gauge) was correct.

I am wondering how important all this emphasis on precision really is?

73, Pete N4ZR

PS that was in 1995.  The tower carries a short 40M 2-element yagi and two
short boom tribanders, one on a swinging gate side-mount.  Max wind gusts
encountered since have been on the order of 75 MPH.