[TowerTalk] Followup thrust bearing repair

Robert Wood rwood90 at clearwire.net
Mon Jan 28 21:08:24 EST 2008

One of our famous local operators WA5ZFH

met me at the club house this morning (jan28th2008)

with 26,000 RPM tool and a diamond blade

about 3 to 4" in diameter in hand.

Didn't take long.   JT made two cuts 180 degrees apart

in the remaining bearing sleeve

and got as close as he could to the flat support plate

I brought the baby sledge and chisel &

with chisel in one of the grooves and two hits the problem was

split in two and gone.

Shouldn't make it sound easy as the bearing sleeve was fairly substantial

but that nice blade just made short work of the metal.

Thanks for all the replies!

73 W5AJ

now on with the tower repairs