[TowerTalk] log periodic comparisons

michael castellano mjpc48 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 5 21:06:09 EDT 2008

Roger:

I can't do a comparison, but I can give some insight on my HyGain LP-1007 that has been up for about 30 years, on top of a 60ft SSV. In that time, it has NEVER failed, broken or wandered outside the original specs when it was assembled. Mechanically, it is a brute, (the mast to boom plate weighs in at 95 lbs). It has survived annual ice storms, 6 hurricanes, three of which were considered major. Hurricane Gloria put southern New England off the map for three weeks, the LP-1007 never even loosened an element. Once a year I sweep the antenna for return loss. And every year it comes back with numbers that match the orignal specs.

On a non-scientific note, I went to Honor Roll #1 (in 10 yrs) with this antenna only, usually running around 150 watts. Was I the "first in the pileups"? Well, not really, when barefoot, only about 75% of the time.

The antenna is quite heavy (about 200 lbs)and requires a real rotor to turn and HOLD it in place. Obviously, it doesnt TX on 30m, but it DOES hear as well as rotatable dipole on this band. I do just that, with a 3/8w elevated vertical for TX.

Would I buy another Pre MFJ LP-1007 if available? YES without hesitation.

I hear that the newer "amateurized" LP-1009 is but a cheaper knockoff of the '1007'. But I have absolutely no experience with that model to make any judgements. Perhaps others have experience with it. It would be interesting to see how it works and has held up.

And yes, my LP-1007 sat in a crate at the rear of an un-named embassy in SE Asia for 5 years before I grabbed it!

73 !

Mike KM1R