[TowerTalk] Antenna separation

Daron Wilson daron at wilson.org
Thu Jul 10 19:25:46 EDT 2008

Not quite sure what your problem is, but I suspect transmitting on 2M blows
away the scanner.  If you are anticipating listening to the scanner in the
VHF band, I suspect you are going to need somewhere around 50+ feet of
vertical separation or a couple hundred feet of horizontal separation.  Even
then, the scanner has no front end to speak of, so you'll like interfere
with your listening when transmitting on 2 meters.  One can filter the
scanner antenna and notch out the 2m band if you wish, but that's a bit of
work.

Vertical separation is much more efficient that horizontal separation,
directly below the other antenna is better due to the pattern of the typical
omni antenna.

Good luck