[TowerTalk] Tower regulatory climate in Fort Collins - Loveland, CO area

Eugene Jensen eugenejensen at nyc.rr.com
Mon Jul 21 22:17:47 EDT 2008

First of all, I would rather just represent what I know about the subject as
I have accomplished it on at least 2 occasions.  In most communities, code
enforcement are the officials that you have to first speak with to give you
the fundamental lay of the land.  Then comes your building examiners, in
some cases, they could be the people who review the permits, etc. etc.  It
is different in every State.  But, as far as every county keeps the record
of the deeds of the land that you are looking at purchasing.  And with due
diligence, I tracked the particular piece of property that I am building my
new retirement home in South Carolina back over 70 years!  Which were more
than enough to satisfy my purposes. Other than the fact that I cannot have
any pigs, I guess I will just  have to forego having these animals in their
4 legged version anyways, And I also cannot have an outhouse no longer due
to public sewerage laws.  I have done this in South Carolina on 3 different
properties and other than approximately two to four hours of learning how to
do it, and let me tell you, the people who do it every day down there, they
are the most helpful bunch you ever want to meet taking me under their arms,
and showing me where to look and coding, etc. and the landscape.  For Horry
County, South Carolina, amateur radio towers are exempt under 100 feet!
Except they must meet the Horry County wind speed which has been set at 130
miles an hour burst for 3 seconds.  Also, the tower has to meet the specs
under IBC 2003.  So I hope this will give you all some insight on really how
simple this process really is.  If you don't have the time, you can hire a
professional title searcher for the average run of $50 to $100 to do all the
research for you and deliver to you each deed in succession back to how many
years you set that you want him to go looking for you.  Certainly money well
spent if you don't have the time.  These are the same people the title and
the lawyers all use for their lien searches on properties, etc. etc.  I wish
you the best of success and doing your leg work so to speak is certainly a
lot cheaper than paying the lawyers and certainly get "Antenna Zoning for
the Radio Amateur" **By Fred Hopengarten, K1VR , probably some of the best
money you can spend.  He will certainly give you more professional, well
written guidance that is absolutely invaluable.  I happen to be fortunate
enough to attend a class given by ARRL chief counsel Chris Imlay, W3KD
afterwards, whom I left with a great impression of the ARRL commitment to
our problems.  73's and the greatest of success in finding property and in
your tower endearments, as I prepare to put up a 100 feet of Rohn SSMW!
73's Gene K2QWD

More information about the TowerTalk mailing list