[TowerTalk] sealing conduit

Gene Smar ersmar at verizon.net
Thu Jul 31 20:33:37 EDT 2008

Greg:

     For ten years before I installed my tower in the back yard, I had a bunch of wire antennas strung through the trees.  The coax to these antennas exited my shack through the crawl space underneath via a 4-inch hole I cut into the header board with a hole saw.

     I then installed a drier vent assembly (for a clothes drier exhaust) into the hole and ran the coaxes out that way.  I used a large piece of fiberglass insulation to plug up the hole, yet allow for future additions to the antenna farm.  Worked great, lasted a long time and was cheap.

     The trick is to ensure that the conduit opening points downward so that the insulation doesn't get rained on.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F