[TowerTalk] antenna sling for tramming

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon May 12 13:26:19 EDT 2008

K7LXC at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/12/2008 12:25:29 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> wc1m at msn.com writes:
>

>>> Looping that haul line around the center element with half  hitches
>>> whether above or below the boom should cure this  tendency.
>>>

>>  Difficult when the antenna has no  center element. It's a 2-el.
>>

>     In that case I use a yoke. Loop the  tagline around one element, down the
> boom and then down the other element  - with both sides tied together forming
> a sort of triangle. I'd suggest  using some polypropylene since it's
> relatively stiff and won't tend to  get hung up somewhere as you're unrigging it up on
> the tower. Or use 2  taglines that go up the element and then tied to the
> center of the boom so you  can reach it to unrig. One person can handle both
> taglines without much  problem which is better than having 2 amateurs manning the
> taglines. One of  them will invariably want to pull too hard.

That's the main reason I don't like tag lines to the antennas. Even with
experienced people I like to have another person off to the side where
they have a good view of the axis in question. Then they can give
feedback to the person on the tagline(s). Even with the experienced
things are sometimes not as they seem from that position.  It's sorta
like driving one of the zero turning radius lawn mowers.  You can
quickly end up some where you don't want to be.<:-))

73

Roger  (K8RI)