[TowerTalk] Cushcraft R5 sealing of the traps, What sealant

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun May 18 16:40:40 EDT 2008

Marc Tessier - VE3TES wrote:
> Hello what I did was remove the shrink tubing all together and reinstalled newer stuff, the type I was able to get my mitts on had a similar sealant like the original tubing had. The manufacturer name is Raychem, Part # TCS2-15/17 Now this stuff was a bit larger than actually needed, so look for stuff about 35% larger than the area you wish to cover, i.e. if the coil is 1.25" try for stuff that is 1 5/8" or similar in size in non shrunk dimensions...Most heat shrink tubing specs will give min and max diameter size before and after heating...

Good industrial grade heat shrink will  shrink to about 25-30% of the
original size.   IOW, from 0.88" original size (really closer to an
inch) to 0.22" minimum after shrinking for the 3M stuff.  I don't think
that is made in large enough sizes to go over those traps though.  OTOH
the stuff available out there covers a wide range of quality and size.

Good Luck,

Roger (K8RI)