[TowerTalk] Rotor Loops

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Mon May 19 08:46:25 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/19/2008 5:22:37 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  I'm getting ready to install my rotor and coax and would  like to get some
thoughts on the best way to do the coax loop for the  rotor.  Typically, I
would leave about a 5' sagging loop to the side of  the mast/tower and leave it
at that.  In reading K7NV's tower tips, he  suggests wrapping the coax around
the mast a couple of times in 8" or larger  diameter to serve as the "loop",
stating that this method puts less strain on  the coax as the rotor turns.  I
haven't had any experience with this  method.  Any thoughts on this?  Which is
better?

    Better? It's just 2 different ways to do it. The  loops-around-the-mast
works fine if you don't have a lot of cables (2-3 or so  is FB) and there is
enough room between the top of the tower and the bottom of  the first antenna
(at least a foot). Sometimes there's just not enough room  for the loops.

    I use both methods but mostly the long rotation  loop version.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams