[TowerTalk] 43ft Vertical Feeding Question and Balun type

Michael Baker k7ddmjb at qwest.net
Thu Nov 20 10:12:08 EST 2008

I need to pick the brain of the great collective about something:

I have decided to put up a 43 foot vertical with 32 radials for the lower
bands. (80,40,30,20M)
>From what I have been reading on the various manufacturers web sites it
seems the common feed method is a "4:1 Current Balun."
Perhaps it is just my old school brain at work here but it seems to me that
an UNUN is what is needed.
Baluns to me were transformer type that went from BALANCED antenna to
UNBALLANCED feed. UNUN's were for UNBALLANCED antennas and feeds. IE:Coax.
Something to keep the RF off your coax feedline was a CHOKE or Open sleeve.
Ferrite beads seem to be the item most used these days for that.
So my simple question is "How are YOU feeding your 43ft vertical?"
I have spent so much time running simulations with various types of
materials, lengths and construction methods in EZNEC I have gone blurry but
I am now down to the wire (pun intended ;>) at getting this thing put up for
the CQWW and I need some collective advice.
So, tell me what YOU use.
IS there a design for a 4:1 UNUN someplace because if there is I can not
find it anywhere.

As always I look forward to your thoughts and appreciate any input.

Best 72, 73

Michael Baker  K7DD
k7ddmjb at qwest.net