[TowerTalk] Force 12 80M Sigma vertical problem

Dennis OConnor ad4hk2004 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 21 08:21:53 EST 2008

Steve, Moxon in his book on HF Antennas For All Locations brings up this subject and he later revisited it in his ARRL article on assymetric fed dipoles...
I have done some tinkering with assymetric fed halfwave antennas and I have found that you need a big choke at the feed point and another choke 1/8 wave away (for the band that detunes the most) and the feed line HAS to run at right angles away from the antenna for at least a quarter wave at the lowest affected frequency, and a half wave is better...  Most mommas won't put up with a neck high coax running across the backyard for her to duck everytime she hangs out the wash... Luckily for me, I can put my experiments away from the house...
Anyway, Moxon's article is also in the Antenna Compendium #3  (or maybe #4 - I have Al Whatsizname disease)

denny / k8do