[TowerTalk] to anodize or not to anodize

Michael E Fox (N5MEF) N6MEF at mefox.org
Fri Oct 17 23:12:37 EDT 2008

I need to know whether or not to have the aluminum panels I'll use for a
lightening arrestor bulkhead and for a grounding/bonding bulkhead anodized.

It would sure make it look better.  But since anodizing is a process which
actually creates an oxide layer, I'm thinking that it will actually serve to
reduce electrical conductivity when, in fact, I want it to be maximum.
After all, that's why we use products like Noalox, etc., right?

So, just to check my thinking:  I believe I should use non-anodized
aluminum, clear any oxide where I will make connections, use Noalox on those
connections, and let the rest anodize on it's own.  Correct?

Thanks in advance.

73,

Michael - N6MEF