[TowerTalk] Using old coax for ground wire

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Oct 21 18:33:08 EDT 2008

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 13:54:00 -0700 (GMT-07:00), Jim Lux wrote:

>How about on a vertical 1/4 wave antenna.. (which was what I was
>thinking of in the context of RF grounds).

What we are looking for is a conductive plane to serve as a return
for RF current and for the E and M fields associated with antenna
current. While the earth CAN serve this function, it does so rather
poorly, because it is quite lossy and thus burns RF power. Instead,
we use radials, which serve as a low loss return for the current and
the fields, increasing the antenna efficiency.

There are excellent discussions of this on W2DU's and N6LF's
websites, and the N6LF website includes some excellent new research
on the effectiveness of various radial configurations. Google on
their calls to find them. I had the good fortune of hearing Rudy
present this work at Pacificon last weekend.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC