[TowerTalk] (no subject) Vertical Antenna Instead of Tower Decision....

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Tue Sep 23 17:03:54 EDT 2008

Hi Frank --

Thanks for the strong reply to my questions.    Based on your comments, I
would be better off making higher, longer, and better wire antennas and
working towards a beam on a tower, instead of looking for a vertical
compromise today.

The six month tower estimate is my own estimate based on several
factors, including the time it takes to  1)  research and plan the tower,
2)  order it and have it arrive - many companies are several months out
on delivery dates,  3)  the time it takes to get the local tower expert over
to put it up -- regardless of how much money I MIGHT save, I plan to
hire it done by a licensed, bonded, insured, experienced and collectible
professional I can sue when it falls over.   (I am a retired trial
lawyer...I
KNOW the liabilities and risks.. ),   and 4)  it takes time to get the
antenna
delivered, assembled, and ready for installation.  Moreover, it is nearly
October and we will soon be in the Michigan rainy season, and then
snow flies starting in November for the next 5 months, and the reliable
good tower guys do not install in winter.

Thus,... I figure I could realistically get my tower up starting next May
as I cannot get it all arranged before November.   This makes it a
winter project that can go up early spring if I get on it starting now.

THE REAL DILEMMA

My real problem is that I want to work the lower bands and do not have
much space for long wires.  I can put up a tower and a modest beam...
but that will realistically only get me out on 20 Meter and higher.  I will
still be stuck for anything on the low bands... which is why the HyTower
and the mono pole vertical (which can both be tuned down to 160 and 80
meters)  were so appealing on paper.

Thanks for any other suggestions you might have.

donovanf at starpower.net wrote:

> 1. Retain your existing antennas until you install something more permanent.
> > Compared to your existing antennas, you'll be disappointed in the
performance of any of the alternatives you listed on 20 thru 10 meters.