[TowerTalk] C3SS Question

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Wed Apr 8 05:39:11 PDT 2009

In a message dated 4/7/2009 4:13:51 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  I have purchased a C3SS sight unseen.  It is currently  on the ground
about two hours from here..  Elements removed from the boom  but elements still
assembled.  I want to try and bring this yagi home on  my station wagon roof
rack.  Can some one tell me about the centres of  the linear loaded driven
element and the linear loaded reflector.  Are  the elements split or not.?  I assume
the other elements are not split  but I am not sure.  I want to do minimum
disassembly of the longest  elements .....but  I can't strap  27 ft elements to
top of my  car!......  What about the 12 ft boom how many pieces? etc....Does
the  manual have pictures to help in assembly ....if so a scan of these might
answer all my questions.

I wouldn't worry too much  about breaking it down too much; the less you take
it apart, the easier it'll be  to put back together and the less potential
mistakes there'll be. This is a  linear loaded antenna so the 20M elements are
shorter to begin with. You can use  a 1/8" drill bit to drill out the rivets on
the 20M and then tape them together  to make them shorter but everything else
can be left alone.

        Don't worry about the boom  - it's probably shorter than your car so
it can go on the top or hanging on  the side of your vehicle with no problem.
I once had to get a 4L KLM 40M  antenna home and couldn't get the 44' boom
apart so I just tied it  securely on the roof, put a red flag on the end and
drove home. No  problem.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -