[TowerTalk] Pull ropes in buried PVC

Jim Hargrave w5ifp at gvtc.com
Mon Apr 13 15:40:51 PDT 2009

Randy,

I have a 90 ft run of PVC underground from the wall behind my radio room to
a box mounted about 4 ft up on the tower. I installed a small multi-braid
nylon pull string. When I need to pull cables, I use the string to pull
through a good quality water ski rope that I use to actually pull the
cables. I have not had any trouble with this arrangement. That way my main
pull through rope is stored and does not lie in the pipe all the time. Mine
has been in place for 13 years and I recently pulled a new length of RG-8
without any problem.

The rope you have is probably plenty strong to pull the ski rope through.
Once you have pulled the cables through, you can pull the ski rope out and
place it in a cool dry storage, leaving the pull rope back in place.
Remember to always attach the pull string to the cables also, so it will get
pulled back into pipe for future use.

   * 73's Jim W5IFP *