[TowerTalk] Sloper or Inverted V

Jim Hargrave w5ifp at gvtc.com
Tue Apr 21 15:28:41 PDT 2009

Cal,

I have used inverted V's and half slopers for the past 40 years on my
towers. I have had mixed results, however most have been successful. On my
Current 50 ft tower I use the top guy wires as half slopers on 12, 40 & 60M.
The major lobe will be in the direction of the sloper from the tower, but
still maintains reasonable omni-directivity.

I placed the guy supports posts out from the tower so the guy wires would be
approximately 45 degree angle to the tower. That angle places the antenna
feed point around 50 ohm impedance. All my guy wires are fed with a single
coax at the top. Insulators are adjusted on the ends to obtain resonance at
the desired frequency. I then also installed insulators at the ground
mounting post. This essentially isolates the unused guy wire without adding
ground capacitance to the active wire.
 I have another set of Guy wires midway up the tower and they are also
insulated on both ends so they are floating in the air to reduce any ground
capacitance to the active antenna wires.

I have never modeled an antenna, I just put it up and adjust it until I'm
satisfied with the operation.

Antennas are kind of like the Bumble bee. Aeronautical engineers tell you it
can't fly, but they failed to tell the Bumble Bee.

   * 73's Jim W5IFP *