[TowerTalk] Sloper or Inverted V

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Tue Apr 21 18:41:25 PDT 2009

That statement hasn't been accurate for about three decades.  Mechanical
engineers now understand and can model exactly how bumblebees and
hummingbirds fly.  The only reason the myth lives on is because people
are so fond of quoting it as a rationalization for believing as they want.

Within known limitations (close-spaced wires, wires near ground, etc),
computer programs do a pretty good job of modeling antennas as well.  9
times out of 10, those antennas that are claimed to defy the modeling
programs don't.  They might defy the careless modeler, but I don't think
ham radio is advanced at all by non-quantifiable endorsements and
anecdotal experience, at least not when objective inspection and theory
would indicate otherwise.  N3OX was correct when he said that a
half-sloper (quarter wavelength of wire fed at the tower) is basically
an Inverted-V with a very sharp angle (lots of field cancellation) and
one leg grounded.  It doesn't sound very attractive in that light, which
is probably why historically few hams with something to directly compare
it against have ever been very impressed with it.

73,
Dave   AB7E