[TowerTalk] Wooden tower

M. Kent Miller K4MK at triad.rr.com
Thu Apr 30 21:13:24 PDT 2009

Tony,

The 1954 ARRL Antenna Book has a good basic article about constructing a wooden tower similar to what you describe.

There are also designs for several types of wooden masts. My first dipole antennas were mounted on two 50 foot tilt-over wooden masts that my dad and I made, based on a design in that book. They worked just fine, but I' ll never forget how doggoned heavy they were.

I haven' t seen a wooden tower in many years, but I' m sure there are still a few around.

Good luck - it would be quite a project.

73,
Kent - K4MK