[TowerTalk] two benefits of postings on Re: Resonance is overrated

Al Williams alwilliams at olywa.net
Mon Aug 10 07:16:09 PDT 2009

Yes, I agree that the original poster was probably referring to the end
result.  That is why I mentioned "misstated" at both the beginning and end
of my posting.

However unless usage of terms has changed since I learned them or there is a
big segment of the population that refers to the "end result" as having
reactance then you are also making a mistatement i.e.  using terminology
that can be misleading and confusing.

"Negative and Positive" reactance is a misnomer as it really is a shorthand
way of saying
there is a phase shift between the voltage and current.  I have never read
how the term
reactance was applied but I suspect that it refers to how capacitance or
inductance reacts to an applied alternating voltage.

Of course the "end result" of a circuit containing both capacitance and
inductance could be thought of as reacting to an alternating voltage.
However someone invented the term
impedance for this "reacting" result.  I presume the purpose of this change
in terminology was to lessen confusion, provide better communication, and
understanding of the circuit.

That was the purpose of my posting.

k7puc