[TowerTalk] two benefits of postings on Re: Resonance is

Al Williams alwilliams at olywa.net
Mon Aug 10 16:16:56 PDT 2009

Some responses to my posting illustrate the benefit of multiple postings on
the same subject but analyzed from a different point of view.

One point of view on resonance (actually reactance) was from the inductive
or capacitive point of view.

The other point of view was from a phase shift point of view i.e. lagging
current or leading current relative to the applied voltage.

Although both points of view have some benefit, I think that the phase shift
view provides a better understanding e.g.

A single perfect (no resistance) inductor will have a reactance such that
the current will lag the voltage. A single perfect capacitor will have a
reactance such that the current will lead the voltage.

But what happens when the two are connected together when they have equal
reactance values ignoring the phase shift?  Does the inductor reactance  and
capacitor reactance somehow dissappear?  Or are the reactances still there
but  the lagging current phase shift  is exactly offset by the leading
current phase shift.

I would argue that virtually all circuits have both inductive and capacitive
reactance (maybe extremely small L and C) at the same time  but they combine
such that only one is dominant, thus inductive or capacitive. Maybe someone
with more knowledge can correct me or explain it better.

To help reduce confusion the term impedance rather than reactance should be
used when both reactances are included.

k7puc