[TowerTalk] No concrete for a Rohn tower base

Chet Moore ChetMoore at cox.net
Mon Aug 17 18:52:17 PDT 2009

When I  was KP4EAJ in San Juan, I lived on old Navy Base at Isla Grande.  I
was not allowed to pour a cement base there.  I used the rohn 25G dirt base
to hold the 25G foldover tower with one section above the hinge and one
below the hinge for a total of 60 feet with a TH-6 on top.  I got 40 feet of
it up myself.  The next day w2gd arrived an put up the rest so he could
operate in one of the sprints.  It held up through 4 or 5 hurricanes over
the 4 years I was down there.  When we took the tower down and pulled out
the dirt base, it looked like new.  It wasn't like I didn't want a cement
base but when the military says no cement, then CHAMPIONS ADJUST  !! .  I
was probably lucky but it worked for me

press on regardless

Chet N4FX