[TowerTalk] ANTENNA RESONANCE VS HEIGHT ABOVE GROUND - DATA POINTS?

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Tue Aug 25 08:42:13 PDT 2009

Larry,

Have you tried taking the T-match out of the model, splitting the driven
element, then looking at how far the resonance (zero reactance at driven
element center) shifts in frequency when you go from 15' to 190'??

It would be interesting to see how that number compares with your 200
KHz rule of thumb.

BTW, if you'all can afford it might be worth renting a cherry picker -
one just tall enough to get rid of the ground interaction. Sidemount the
yagi high enough to get rid of the ground interaction and then tune from
the platform on the cherry picker.

Another alternative would be to setup up a low tram so that you could
swing the back end of the yagi in close to the tower using the tag lines
(at some point just high enough to get rid of the ground interaction).
The guy on the tower could lash the back end of the boom to the tower
with a bungy cord for stability and then do all the tuning in one shot.
There is a safety issue here of course as you would need 100% confidence
in your tram system. I once saw a tram guy anchor pull out once and send
a Telrex 3 element 40 to slam into the side of a 180' tower. Luckily
nobody was on the tower when it happened (IIRC - the climber had just
come down).