[TowerTalk] K9AY performance expectations/help

Doug Turnbull turnbull at net1.ie
Sat Aug 29 02:40:45 PDT 2009

Scott and Jerry,
     I am most interested in this thread so thank you for starting it.
Scott, I find that my Array Solutions K9AY gives me about a 6 to 15 db
directivity between front and back. Some signals show little directivity
difference while with others changing the direction is most noticeable.  My
antenna has proven invaluable in contests to null Europe and listen to the
States on 160M.   I also find it useful to listen on 80M and find the same
relative front to back ratio.

     I have never found much difference in adjusting the terminating
resistance.

     I have a friend, who is a first class 160M operator and EU pioneer on
this band, GW3YDX who has never been able to get satisfactory performance
from his K9AY so I suppose performance is variable but in my case the
antenna is most useful.

             73 Doug EI2CN