[TowerTalk] Gin pole

Bill K2OWR k2owr at comcast.net
Thu Dec 17 15:52:36 PST 2009

:::: I will be using the single clamp type gin pole fixture sold by the guy
on ebay all the time for $140. I used this type for many years and find that
the dual clamp arrangement, while likely to be stronger, was not needed and
only added to the complexity of moving the whole system as I add sections to
the tower. I also used only 12' of pole, but more would be nice.

I'll check out the place in Utah, but shipping stuff 12' long is real
expensive. This is why w9iix breaks it down to two six footers, but then he
goes and charges the high shipping cost anyway....go figure.

As to using the steel fence pipe, no way. First the weight is very difficult
to handle and stresses the tower legs too much, plus the fixture demands 2"
OD, so that's out.

As I said b4, I used 12' of 2"OD .125 wall 6061 for years on many towers and
had no problems.
So where's the one I used to have?
In my haste in moving from NJ it somehow got "lost" with a friend who
can't/won't even look for it. I guess it's hard to find.

Funny thing is, here in my area in TN, the crane guy only wants $250 to
"hang" my little 80' Rohn 25, but when he asked me "how do I unhook it once
it's up" I decided he may not be the real deal :-)

BILL K2OWR