[TowerTalk] Soldering Iron

Steve Katz stevek at jmr.com
Mon Feb 2 17:38:03 EST 2009

Another wonderful tool that I USED to have access to that makes soldering UHF or other BIG connectors simple - see if you can get yourself a nice resistance soldering rig (or one can be made from a filament transformer) - take the carbon electrode tweezers, clamp around the body, hit the foot peddle, and the connector is up to temp in maybe 2-5 seconds

::Indeed!  I have one of those.  It's a 900W resistance soldering setup, which was probably well over $1K "new" but purchased at the TRW Swap Meet for $75.  It had (still has) a "Property of Hughes Aircraft Company" asset tag on it.  :-)

Works like a charm.  Doesn't even take two seconds for a PL-259 body, more like one second.

WB2WIK/6