[TowerTalk] 43' verticals

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 17 09:42:24 EST 2009

W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
> Funny we just had this same hot topic on our local contesting club
> reflector.
>
> They might be better than what you had but IMHO they can't be very good for
> 80/160.
>
> I wish there were some short miracle antennas for 80 and 160 so I could put
> up some 4 squares easily.

For receiving or transmitting?

For Rx, height's not all that important (well.. clearly there's a
difference between a 120foot stick and a 8 foot whip, but between a 8
foot whip and a 43 foot mast, I'll bet there isn't a huge difference).

For Tx, I don't know that the radiation pattern is much different
between a 43 foot and a 8 foot radiator: they're both "short".  Losses
in the matching network for the 8 footer would probably (almost
certianly) be higher.