[TowerTalk] Radial material choice and effect

Lee Buller k0wa at swbell.net
Tue Feb 17 15:38:21 EST 2009

Do not use electric fence wire.  It will disappear if you bury it.  Rust into nothing very quickly.  Gone in a matter of a year or so.  I never bury my radials, just lay them on the ground and pin them with "lawn staples" I make in my shop.

What I use is rather different.  I go to the local garage door installer.  He has hundreds of feet of the wire they use from the opener to the open/close button - and to the electric eye sensors.  The company sends way to much and he uses a roll for about three jobs.  He tosses the other rolls in a box and I go get them.  They are two wire conductor #22 or there abouts....and I just use both conductors....solder ends together...and attached the the radials as one wire.  It is free for the taking in my case.  Each roll has about 95 feet of wire in it.

Scrounge!

Lee Buller - K0WA

In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common Sense divine?