[TowerTalk] Cutting aluminum

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 28 16:50:58 PST 2009

Gary Schafer wrote:

>> I bought an inexpensive miter saw from Harbor Freight and
>> equipped it with a non-ferrous metal cutting carbide blade from McMaster
>> Carr.  The local stores only had ferrous blades.  I also ordered
>> a bar of cutting wax for the blade.  Don't try to cut dry.
>> I have made hundreds of cuts in irrigation tubing and the blade
>> is still as good as new.  The miter saw doesn't take up much
>> space.
>>
>> Rick N6RK
>
> Rick,
>
> Did you get their metal cutting chop saw or a regular saw for wood and put
> the metal blade on it?

the guys building aluminum cabinetry and framework in the set building
company next to where I used to work (e.g. making things like window
frames) used a standard compound miter saw with the fine tooth carbide
blade. Same blade they used for cutting things like molding.  Probably
much like the one 'RK is using.