[TowerTalk] 40-m. 4-Square vs. 40-m. Yagi - Update

Bill Parry bparry at rgv.rr.com
Thu Jan 1 07:57:23 EST 2009

I am really surprised to hear that your vertical does better than your XM. I
cannot actually state that I have done any comparisons of the Cushcraft to a
40 M vertical or 4 square, but I have always felt that my "short-forty" was
sorta magic. Mine is at 1 wavelength or about 135 feet and it really works
extremely well.  I frequently get remarks that I am the loudest signal on
the band from EU and JA. I usually get through pileups on the first call. We
used to use the same configuration at 6D2X and generated massive pileups
into EU and JA and was in fact it was our "bread and butter" band.

As you know, those kind of reports do not take the place of real comparisons
like you have done but I would be suspicious of the results that you have
gotten. I had a problem with my XM 420 this summer. After a lightning strike
it acted like something wasn't right but the SWR was still fine. I took it
down and the Reflector coils were "fried".  Maybe there is a problem with
your reflector.

Incidentally, I have noticed that some have complained that the antenna is
not broad banded enough. Mine covers from 7.0 to 7.2 with SWR under 2.0 to
1.0.  This seems to be pretty reasonable for this antenna, and the antenna
still works fine above 7.2.

I would use whatever works the best, though!

Happy New Year

Bill W5VX