[TowerTalk] shorty 40 vs vertical

kr2q at optimum.net kr2q at optimum.net
Thu Jan 1 10:08:09 EST 2009

In all the descriptions, we only read that the shorty 40 is at X feet.  What else is on the
tower and more importantly, HOW CLOSE?  If there is "other stuff" on the tower, have you
tried removing the other antennas in order to compare just the 40 to the vertical(s)?

I too have a shorty forty at 80.  I'm a contester, so I was also interested in the 4 square,
more for "speed of direction change" than anything else.  But covering "only" 4 corners of the
compass from NJ did not seem appealing, especially since the mandatory directions are
(a) Europe - around 50 degrees from here and (b) SA - about due south from here.  Not
good.  I also asked other contesters with shorty 40's and none of them were willing to give up
the rotatable yagi on 40 for a 4 square.

YMMV

de Doug KR2Q