[TowerTalk] 40m 4square v. 40m yagi

jim Jarvis jimjarvis at optonline.net
Thu Jan 1 12:22:40 EST 2009

I think you'll find that vertical angle distribution of the two
antennas is the major factor,
with terrain being the obvious uncontrollable issue.

90' is not a particularly good height for a 40m yagi.    As you go up
from 67',  the models
reflect a higher angle lobe popping out, with a reduction in energy
at lower angles.
This doesn't reverse until you get to 133' or so.    As a result, you
should see the vertical
outperform the yagi, at distances beyond 5k miles or so, particularly
where you have
an over-water path.

Up in VT, I had a 2 el cushcraft 40, at 90'.    I also had an
elevated ground plane located
400' away from it, at the same height.    AND, I had a vertical
dipole, the top of which was
at 120'.    This was over crappy New England rock soil.    The
verticals out performed the
yagi, on anything over  4-5k miles.   Sometimes by not a lot,
sometimes by 3-4 S units, in
an uncalibrated receiver.  So maybe 15-20dB.

Improve the ground system to the west, perhaps you'll be surprised.

n2ea