[TowerTalk] Shunt Feeding a Large Tapered Tower

Bill Powell whp at att.net
Thu Jan 1 18:50:58 EST 2009

Some idle thinking brings about this question.

I have access to a large  Rohn SSV tower covered with Public Safety sticks, microwave dishes and a 2 bay FM bcast antenna.  It is painted and lit and has, at least at time of it's construction, an appropriate ground system..It is a 250' beast with 30' leg space at the base, tapering down to a measly 6' at the top.  Anyone ever (try to / successfully) shunt feed such a beastie for 160m or 75m?

Experimentation isn't an option here since 1) it is painted and any dings nave to be properly repaired and 2) We're supposed to only use certified and insured climbers to do any work on the tower.

I'd hate to try and model the tower and all the junk hanging on it expecting the program would puke from all the elements.

Anyone with experience with something like this?

Thanks and happy new year to all,
Bill - WB1GOT